JE T'AIME...JE T'AIME... Yesterday was my birthday (37 for all you gawkers), so I spent most of the weekend doing whatever the hell I wanted. That mostly meant recovering from this cold/flu thing that hit me on Wednesday. You may remember, faithful readers, that I had a cold a few weeks ago, and this might have been the remnants of that flairing back up again. It's either that or I'm in for a really long winter of colds and flu...something I've managed to avoid for many, many years. I keep hearing colds and sinus infections have been going around, but doesn't it seem early? Sigh.

Anyway, I decided to devote this weekend to something I don't have a lot of time to do anymore...reading. I bought On Beauty by Zadie Smith last week (it's been on my "must read" list for ages) and decided I was going to start devoting an hour each evening to reading novels and non-fiction again. I always forget how incredible it is to curl up with a good book -- and On Beauty most definitely is -- and lose yourself in the plot and characters. During the 90s, I was working a dead end job at another newspaper where I sat a desk for eight hours a day in an empty office. I could churn out the six or seven stories each week in a couple of hours, so that left the other 38 hours with nothing to do. I averaged about a book per week (sometimes two) then, voraciously reading every new book that piqued my curiosity. Those days are long gone. I'm determined to get some discipline back into my reading. I've become far too involved with reality television, and I'm still amazed at how much time I spend on the Internet. Reading leads to more writing -- for me anyway -- so I'm looking forward to digging into the stack of books that have been sitting un-read around my apartment. After On Beauty I am going to make myself finish John Irving's Until I Find You and then I'm finally going to to read Atonement by Ian McEwan. Plus, Cecilia's sending me some new collections by poets she's discovered. I'll keep you posted.

I met my parents for dinner on Saturday night, and then last night, Malory took me to dinner at the swank Buckhead Diner. Such an odd mix of the rich, wannabes and tourists. When we came out, Mal remarked on all the BMWs and Mercedes lined up by the valets. Where was my piece-of-shit-mobile? Parked in the back. Yes, dears, the class system still exists. But the food was delicious and I'm sure I gained an extra five pounds on the double chocolate cake alone. Mal also gave me a present I'd been wanting for ages, the Criterion Edition DVD of Elevator to the Gallows with Jeanne Moreau. Oh, sweet Jesus, it's a glorious thing. If you've never seen this film, watch the trailer below and get it on your Netflix queue pronto.

Comments

Anonymous said…
happy belated, collin! "on beauty" is also rocking my world right now. do you have "howard's end" in your netflix queue yet?
Collin Kelley said…
"Howard's End" is one of my favorite films (and books of all time). I even based a poem on it that's included in "Better To Travel." I already see the style and parallels. Zadie is a clever lady.
Happy after-the-fact birthday Collin. I'm going to check into both the McEwan book and Elevator to the Gallows.
I just did the happy birthday strip tease, but ...
Peter said…
Aw . . . that is so sweet. Happy Birthday!
Anonymous said…
Happy birthday from the ash-strewn homeland of the Bionic Woman.
Happy belated b-day, Collin! Sounds like you had a good day. And I would rather have chocolate cake then...
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday! You and my daughter share a birthday. I'd say both of you are in good company.

Montgomery Maxton! Do you go to any poetry happenings in Columbus? I would like to meet you sometime. There's something Friday in the north campus area: 9-22-06, 8:00 pm at Kafe Kerouac 2250 N. High, It's a new poem only open mic. Interested?
Nick said…
Hope you had a good one, Collin!
I am going to email Louise for a date.

Collin, did you get anything naughty for your birthday>
Collin Kelley said…
I'm doing my naughty stuff Wendesday night. Don't come knocking. lol
Kate Evans said…
Happy birthday ya old man!

I LOVE Zadie Smith.

ox Kate
Arlene said…
extremely belated happy, collin!!!

thanks for the zadie smith tip. she's on my list of authors to read.

glad to see you buzzy as a bee!

a.
michi said…
a VERY belated happy birthday, collin. i am sure you will grow older with dignity. *grin*

i have that book on my must read list as well.

Popular Posts