LADIES' NIGHT: Right outta the box, the girls are 100 times better than the boys on American Idol. The 12 ladies performed this evening, and I'll restate my prediction from the last post: the final two will both be girls. However, there were some terrible, terrible singers. And what the hell with three Aretha Franklin songs? Did the producers make a royalty deal with ReRe? Let's get right to it:

Stephanie Edwards - Great start to the evening. Strong voice, good song choice with the jazzy "How Come You Don't Call Me." She'll be around for awhile.

Amy Krebs - A boring version of Bonnie Raitt's classic "I Can't Make You Love Me." No passion and a shitty arrangement from the house band. Going home soon.

Leslie Hunt - She's a total kook, but I like her. Randy, Paula and Simon didn't like her choice of "You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman", but I thought she was pretty good, although a bit out of her comfort zone as Simon suggested.

Sabrina Sloan - Incredible set of pipes, already looks like a major R&B star. She'll be in the final 12.

Antonella Barba - I can't get the image of her sitting on the toilet wiping her cho-cha out of my mind after photos of this Jersey party-girl were leaked all over the net. She's tonight's Sundance Head...which means she's going home. A totally, flat, horrible version of "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing," a song I hate, but now I hate it even more.

Jordan Sparks - A cool version of Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason." Love how she built the song to a great ending. She'll be in the final 12 for sure.

Nicole Tranquilla - Chaka Kahn should sue her ass. She totally butchered the song. She's going home...maybe tomorrow night.

Hayley Scarnato - Yawn-o-rama. A boring, predictable cover of "It's All Coming Back to Me Now." She sounded like she was singing in a lounge or beauty pageant.

Melinda Doolittle - I love this girl. Second best vocal of the night with "Since You Been Gone." She's personable, got an incredible voice and cute as a button. I want her in the top two.

Alaina Alexander - Horrible, horrible, horrible cover of "Brass In Pocket" by The Pretenders. A karaoke hatchet job. Unfortunately the song refrain is "I'm special, so special..." and she was soooooo not.

Gina Glocksen - A horrible, dated version of "All By Myself." What was she thinking? She's got a good voice and a unique look, but this was a terrible song choice. Randy and Paula liked it, but I think they're sharing the dope now.

Lakisha Jones (pictured above) - When they said she was going to sing "I Am Telling You I'm Not Going," I groaned -- Jennifer Hudson owns this song right now. Okay...Jennifer USED to own this song. Lakisha totally blew the roof off the joint. Best vocal of the night by a mile and a half. Simon said the other 23 might as well book their flights home. Judging from this performance, he's right.

Comments

C. Cleo Creech said…
Melinda and Lakisha were definitely my top two, plus they have the best back stories.

You've got Melinda who's been a professional backup singer all her life, stepping out to claim the spotlight - and you really want her to suceed.

Then Lakisha as the single mom, bank teller, who's always sung at her church.

You find yourself rooting so much for both of them.
Jennifer said…
Collin,
Where are the wiping pics of Antonella. I have not had the pleasure of being repulsed by them yet. Great update...and we basically agree about these girls. I did my update just a minute ago.
Jennifer said…
never mind...I just found it. Ugh. Lotsa scandalous pics of this ho blazing across the net...
Unknown said…
I gave up watching this show two seasons ago, but I have secretly missed it. Now, however, I need never watch it again. Your reviews are better than suffering through Ryan Ichfest and the Idiots. CRACKING UP at your Glockson comment, thinking only of Bridget Jones.

Popular Posts