Palin Should Withdraw VP Candidacy
"My vetting process was completely thorough and I'm grateful for the results," McCain told reporters in Philadelphia today.
If that's the case, McCain and his cronies are bigger idiots than I thought. The fact that Sarah Palin's 17-year-old daughter is knocked up is small potatoes compared to what other skeletons are being dug out of her Alaskan closet. The fact that Palin decided to make a statement about her daughter while Hurricane Gustav was devastating parts of the Louisiana coast -- not to mention the three year anniversary of Katrina -- is unforgivable. It shows a basic failure of judgement from the outset. Let's drop this bombshell while the media is focused elsewhere and maybe we'll get a pass. No such luck, Sarah.
- Palin now has a private lawyer in a legislative ethics investigation in Alaska into whether she abused her power as governor in dismissing the state’s public safety commissioner. The PSC refused to fire a state trooper, who happened to be in a messy divorce with Palin's sister.
- In the 1990s she was a member of the Alaska Independence Party, which promotes the state's secession from America.
- Her husband was charged with a DUI in the 80s.
- The New York Times reports that a vetting team was still digging into Palin's background in Alaska AFTER she'd been formally announced as McCain's running mate.
- Her platform of abstinence and no sex education for school children smacks of hypocrisy in the wake of the announcement that her teenage daughter is pregnant and WILL marry the father and keep the baby. I wonder if the teen father has any say in that? Alaska also has one of the highest teen STD problems in the country. McCain has repeatedly voted against sex education and contraceptive use.
- McCain's choice of Palin was a panic selection to try and draw disaffected Hillary voters and independents. The women I know aren't buying it and only the Republican Kool-Aid drinkers and Christian right-wing crazies are supporting her now.
If Palin was smart she would withdraw her candidacy and spare herself and her family any further embarrassment. McCain's selection of Palin is proof positive that his judgement is seriously impaired. This has nothing to do with Palin being a woman; it has everything to do with her being inappropriate and unprepared for the job of vice-president of the United States.
Thanks to Tania for finding this video, which really sums it up.