Being a Busy Bee

My friend Jackie (love ya, honey) sent me a note this morning wondering if I'd dropped off the earth since I haven't updated the blog in a couple of days. I'm still here, but incredibly busy.

Sunday afternoon was the rescheduled Poetry Out Loud regional competition at the Atlanta History Center, then I had to come home and do some editing for the day job. We started production on the April issue today. 

I'm also going to be working with the fantastic director/editor Tim O'Donnell on a slick, music video-style book trailer for Conquering Venus that will post to YouTube, this blog and wherever else I can place it. We've collected all the film, images and music and now it's just down to me to write a "script" to accompany the trailer. It will be about a minute and thirty seconds long. We have moody images of Paris, Venus de Milo and a gorgeous song. Should be finished by April. 

I'm also thinking of making up 50 or 100 electronic press kits that have the trailer and sample chapters of the novel to take to Saints and Sinners Literary Festival in New Orleans. Vanilla Heart is doing the traditional paper and emailed press kits, but I want something that stands out. This might be cost-prohibitive, but I'm investigating. 

American Idol recap later tonight!

Comments

jaxx said…
that's a great idea about the EPKs. are you going to do them on little flash drives? you can get those for like $10 apiece now -- and you will definitely stand out.

there was a guy at a music conference who gave out his demo on a music player, rather than on a CD. he got a LOT of attention (can't remember his name) and plenty of A/R people who wouldn't have bothered with his CD, did listen to his songs since he made it so convenient for them.
Collin Kelley said…
oooh, Jaxx, I love that idea of putting the EPK on a flash drive. That would be cool as hell. Back channel me if you have a place that sells those cheap. Smooch!
January said…
Collin, do you think an electronic press kit is something I should do for my poetry book? I think it's a great idea but I don't know if it would resonate as much in the poetry market as it would for fiction.
Collin Kelley said…
I'm not sure either to be honest. Maybe you should be the pioneer for poetry EPK. :)

If you don't do that, I think you should definitely do a book trailer and put it on YouTube. You have a great voice and you could pull it together pretty easily with some of the sample poems.

Popular Posts