On the horizon

In my Dec. 21 post, I mentioned that I'd submitted new poems to two journals. Both of those subs were rejected on the same day in January within hours of each other. Rejections don't faze me anymore, but I have to admit two in one day put me in a pissy mood. I got the subs back out the next day and sent to a third, so the waiting game continues. I managed to draft two more new poems while waiting at the airport and inflight to see my friend Donna in Virginia last month. The beat goes on.

Karen Head and I read 300 submissions for the Mother Mary Comes To Me poetry anthology forthcoming from Madville Publishing this fall. We're getting ready to start sending out acceptance letters and contracts. We're excited about the work and poets who will appear in this book. We can't wait for you to see it.

A number of events are on the horizon, including the launch event for Closet Cases: Queers on What We Wear (et alia press) edited by Megan Volpert. I'm one of 75 queer writers who contributed an essay and photo about an article of clothing that define and inspire us. Mine? Black t-shirts, of course. The launch is March 29, 4 p.m., at the Decatur Library in conjunction with Georgia Center for the Book. The same day, I'll be celebrating the release of Julie E. Bloemeke's long-awaited debut collection, Slide to Unlock (Sibling Rivalry Press). Julie has cooked up a theatrical evening of sights and sounds along with the help of fellow poets (including yours truly) interpreting her work. Watch for details on her website.

From April 3-5 I'll be in Oxford, MS at Glitterary, the LGBTQ+ literary festival at University of Mississippi, to celebrate Sibling Rivalry Press' 10th anniversary! I'll be driving over with Julie and Theresa Davis to meet up with fellow SRP authors for a reading and dance party. There's also going to be keynote addresses by Dorothy Allison and Kaveh Akbar and a host of other events, so check it out.

Of course, April is National Poetry Month and I'll be participating in a couple of events including a reading at Charis Books & More with Julie Bloemeke and Miah Jeffra on April 21 at 7:30 p.m.. Be sure to check the Events link at the top of the site for updates on all my appearances.

Comments

Popular Posts