A small update on my work, health, and Kate Bush

It's been several months since my last update here, so I thought I'd elucidate on what's happening with my health, the new & selected collection, etc. 

First the book. The collection is broken into seven sections and currently has 100 poems. It may have a few more or a few less as I continue to play with the sequence and figure out what can stay or go. I was fretting over the length of the book, but since this is likely my last full-length collection, I decided what the hell. 

There are selections from all of my previously published collections and chapbooks, but it leans more heavily on published-but-uncollected poems and never-before-published ones. It feels right, but there is still quite a bit of tinkering to do. We're still on track for an Autumn 2023 publication date. Stay tuned. 

Oh, and the new header of this site and that I've used on my social media is not the cover of the collection. That's simply a fun little placeholder while the final artwork is completed. 

Back in the early part of the spring, I had a massive infection in the scar tissue around the incision area for my cancer. Apparently, something bit me right behind my ear (where I still have no feeling) and it set up cellulitis. A trip to urgent care, an injection, and a round of antibiotics eventually cleared it.

I just passed the one-year anniversary of both my surgery and moving into the new condo (which I think I'm finally getting used to) and I've got another MRI and CT scan coming up in a couple of weeks to see if the cancer has metastasized to other parts of my body. Fingers crossed. 

I'm absolutely thrilled that Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" – my favorite song – has topped the charts around the world 37-years after its first release thanks to its use in crucial scenes from Stranger Things 4. A whole new generation is discovering Kate's music and it has been absolutely wild to see so much news and hear the song everywhere. I've contributed a brand new essay about Kate for the 40th anniversary issue of her fanzine "HomeGround," which will be out any day now.

That's all for now. I'll post another update after the scans. 


Comments

Popular Posts