CHECKING IN: It's been awhile since my last post, but there has been so much going on (both personally and professionally) that I just haven't had the time or strength to post. My maternal grandfather passed away last week at the age of 80 and my father has been ill. Of course I also have a full time day job at Atlanta News Group, and the commitments for Better To Travel. To say I am worn out is an understatement, but I am not one to bitch and moan, so on to the next topic.

Tonight I saw the brilliant Edward Hirsch, Marilyn Nelson and Ellen Bryant Voigt read at the Bourne Poetry Reading at Georgia Tech. Hirsch is my favorite of these three. His new book Lay Back the Darkness is right up there with Sharon Olds' The Unswept Room for best collection of 2003. I got to meet him and get an autograph afterwards. He is funny and tells amusing stories, but his words make me verklempt. A great evening all around thanks to the work of Ginger Murchison and another great poet, Thomas Lux.

Tomorrow night, Friday, Oct. 10, is the next edition of the Georgia Poetry Society's Open Mic at Barnes & Noble @ Georgia Tech. Sign up at 7 p.m., readings at 7:30 p.m. Poet Sandra Meek is the feature. She's great. Come on out. Visit www.georgiapoetrysociety.com for more details.

Those looking for Better To Travel can now find it at Outwrite in Midtown. Visit www.outwritebooks.com for directions and more on this great store.

And of course, if you found your way here first, don't forget to visit the main website at www.collinkelley.com.

Comments

Popular Posts