GEORGIA WRITERS SPRING FESTIVAL: Just got in from the Georgia Writers Spring Festival. It was a fun day and I got to meet many new people and catch up with old pals. I gave a workshop on marketing and finding places to submit poetry and had a small, but appreciative audience. Thanks for all those who attended.

Later in the day, I got into a debate with a fellow author during a panel discussion on self-publishing and print-on-demand (POD) publishing. This author derided POD and pissed a few people off with his opinions. While I admit I was a little taken aback, it's just par for the course with those who have misconceptions and unrealistic expectations about POD. While this author spent $14,000 to self-publish his book, I spent about $300 to publish Better To Travel. I don't know many first-time authors who have $14,000 in the bank to self-publish. It cost around $300 to publish my book and I pay $6 bucks per copy, which I turn around sell for $12. I've made a profit. I've sold almost 600 books in eight months, most of that in face to face sales at readings and events.

Poetry is a niche market and those expecting to get rich are in for a big disappointment. My goal was to sell 200 copies of the book - which is considered a success for a first book of poetry. The fact that I've sold 600 has far exceeded my expectations. I had a business plan and a market plan in mind long before Better To Travel was published. I have followed both and made money. That cash has gone into an account I use for travel to take the book to new markets and audiences.

POD is not for everyone. I'm not sure if I would use POD for a novel, but I believe POD is a viable option for many. It has certainly worked for me. I encourage all those considering self-publishing to do the research and find the best fit for your book.

Comments

Popular Posts