IN MEMORIAM: SOLVEIG DOMMARTIN





I don't even know where to begin to describe how saddened I am at the death of the great Solveig Dommartin, the star of Wim Wenders' classic films Wings of Desire and Until the End of the World. Solveig passed away last Thursday of heart failure. She was only 45. A memorial service is planned in Paris next week. Wings of Desire has been my favorite film since I first saw it in 1987. Until the End of the World was the inspiration for me to begin my own "road story," my novel Conquering Venus. Although I never had the opportunity to meet Solveig, I feel as if I've lost someone very close. Without her and those films, I would not be the writer I am today. Bless you, Solveig.

We have embarked...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sad news.
Nick said…
Truly sorry to hear about her passing away.
Anonymous said…
Love Wings of Desire and to a lesser degree Faraway So Close. I never could get into Until the End of the World. It was just a rambling mess but Solveig was hot and looked like she was having fun.

GAV
shanna said…
wow--45?! that's shocking.
Anonymous said…
i read this news 20 months later and feel so sad, she was my favorite actress, even 20 years later.

Popular Posts