POETRY OVERLOAD: I spent most of Thursday and Friday evening putting together the Poetry 101 program I'm doing this afternoon at the Fayette County Public Library. Choosing work to present by some of favorite poets was more difficult than I thought. This is going to be an all-ages audience, so I had to abandon portions of Ginsberg's Howl and rethink reading Thunder and Rain by Stan Rice. It's still an edgy selection for such a conservative community like Fayetteville. I've got Sappho, Millay, Whitman, O'Hara, Atwood, Plath, Sexton, Lowell, Giovanni, Kooser, Collins and I'm closing with Trethewey. I'll have a full report on this later. Watch this space.

Who will be the 2007 Poet Laureate of the Blogosphere is now down to a two-person battle between me and Amy King. Voting continues through today and tomorrow. So, if you haven't voted, now's the time. You can vote at this link. Fellow blogger Michi asked what I was going to do if I was elected, and I told her we would have a poly-global, rave-happening. Rupert wanted to know if I was going to start a magazine to publish all the people who voted for me. Hmmm...that's an idea.

Comments

DeadMule said…
Good luck on Poetry 101. Helen
Geri said…
Hi Collin. Certainly no one but you could get my vote for Poet Laureate of the Blogosphere. After all, if it were not for you I never would have blogged at all. Now I'm thinking of adding my own poetry to my blog. If you haven't seen it yet, it's part of my new website, inthecompanyofwriters.com.
By the way, (and I hope a small note of semi-enlightened self-interest here will be forgiven) In The Company of Writers is proving to be fun and interesting. There are lots of new things coming up and I hope at least one of them will be a poetry
webinar by you.

See you next Saturday at Georgia Writers Spring Festival.

Good luck Oh Master Laureate.

~ GT

Popular Posts